This biryani is originated from Mumbai/Bombay .The difference between this biryani is the addition of fried potatoes.I have already posted a Mutton Biryani recipe before but this is slightly different from the earlier one.this is biryani is delicious where the succulently cooked meat is layered with perfectly cooked aromatic fragrant long grained basmati rice is perfectly cooked with aromatic spices..
For the marination
1/2 kg mutton
1/2 cup curds
1.5 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
(To grind to paste)
1 cup coriander leaves
1 cup mint leaves/pudina
2-3 green chillies
1 tbsp jeera/cumin seeds.
for the gravy
2 onions sliced & fried till crisp
2-3 potatoes cubed & deep fried
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp mace powder
2 tsp coriander powder
For the rice
1/2 kg basmati Rice
1 tsp shahi jeera
3-4 green cardamon
1 black cardamon
1 inch Cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
layering & garnish
generous pinch of saffron infused in 1/4 cup warm milk
2 tbsp ghee
2 onions thinly sliced & fried till crisp brown.
3-4 dry plums
dry fruits as needed
1/4 cup milk
- Wash the mutton & marinate with salt ,curds ,red chilli powder ,kiwi & the ground paste and keep aside for 4-5 hours .
- Heat vessel add oil & tomatoes fry till mushy then add the marinated mutton & saute well for about 4-5mins.
- Then add garam masala powder & mix well .
- Add little water & cook in pressure cooker till mutton is well cooked.
- soak basmati rice in water for about an hour then drain water .
- In a vessel add enough water to cook the rice .
- Put all the spices under rice add little salt and cook the rice till 3/4th done.
- Drain the excess water and keep the rice ready.
- In a thick bottomed vessel add melted ghee then spread the layer of rice .
- Crush the fried onions,put the mutton gravy & the nuts & potatoes.
- Sprinkle some mint & coriander leaves .
- Pour 1tsp ghee.
- Spread the remaining rice .
- Lastly sprinkle the remaining fried onions ,nuts and the saffron.
- Pour the remaining ghee.
- Cover with lid and keep it on stove top on very low flame for 15-20 min.
- Serve hot with raita.